Download your guide to starting a new job
5 min read | Hays Experts | Report | Job searching Starting a new job
Access this PDF guide to set you on the right track to making a great first impression. Inside, you’ll find tips from our experts for settling those first-day nerves. We’re here to make your transition into a new job much easier.
Highlights from your new job guide
Whether you’re a graduate, manager or CEO, starting a new job can be intimidating for everyone. But, remember that your new employer has given you the job, so they feel you are the best fit for the company and the team. Our team have created a guide to help your first day or week on the job go smoothly.
Our guide includes valuable advice for new starters. Within the download, you’ll find tips for:
- Making the transition from your previous role by learning the new processes of your work environment
- Asking the right questions - but making sure you listen more than you talk
- Keeping focused on what’s expected of you and how you will achieve success
- Dealing with any reservations about whether you’ve made the right choice.
Among tips to make you feel comfortable beyond your first day, our experts recommend the following steps to make your transition to a new career or role easier:
- Arrive early and stick to the dress code: treat your first day like your interview. Present yourself as professional, personable, and knowledgeable.
- Learn people’s names: build a rapport with your colleagues.
- Ask a lot of questions: from your key responsibilities to where the kettle is.
- Listen and take notes: remember that this is your time to learn.
- Keep focused on what success looks like for your role: what can you expect from your probation period? What are the expected outputs?
- Take your time and be respectful: don’t rush in straight away with criticisms or suggested changes to existing processes.
- Keep in touch with your recruiter: let your recruitment consultant know how it went, and ask any relevant questions.
Discover the full guide to starting a new job
Gain instant access to our expert guide by filling in the form.
Why you should download your guide to starting a new job
Do any of these statements sound familiar?:
“I’m nervous about starting a new job.”
“I’ve been in my current job for a long time. How will I adjust to a new workplace?”
“I’ve been a stay-at-home carer for the last few years. I’m nervous about returning to an office environment.”
“This will be my first job. What if I don’t get along with my new colleagues?”
At Hays, we understand that it’s natural to have concerns about starting a new job. There will inevitably be a lot of information to take in when you take on a new role. So we recommend preparing what you can in advance. This guide will help to settle any nerves so that you can concentrate on succeeding in your new role.
Our team of experts have compiled a series of practical recommendations, built on years of experience. We’ve defined simple steps to follow on your first day in a new job. Our steps are easy to remember and reflect values and attributes that we know employers look out for.
Our expertise when it comes to starting a new job
For over 50 years, we’ve been helping people to successfully settle into their new roles. Our team of recruitment specialists continue to support applicants beyond the interview process. We’re there to check how you’re getting on during your first week on the job and beyond. We’ll be available to answer questions, offer guidance, and give you a running start on your new career path.
Having helped thousands of people over our 50 year history, to find their ideal new career, we know exactly what it takes to make a good first impression.