Contracting in Ireland
PAYE contractors

Requirements for working in a contract job in Ireland vary depending on whether you are an Irish citizen or a non Irish citizen. At Hays, we provide you with everything you need to start your contract job including the contracting essentials.


Emergency tax and tax credits

It is important to ensure that your tax is dealt with properly from the start of your contract and the right amount of tax is deducted from your pay. To ensure this happens, you will need to do two things:

  • Provide your PPS Number

  • Provide your most recent P45 Form or Certificate of Tax Credits

    If you have a PPS number but you haven't received your P45 from your previous employer, click here



If you have never worked in Ireland you must apply for a PPS number and a Certificate of Tax Credits. 

PPS Number: This is your unique personal identification number for public services and is required for any kind of employment. 

Certificate of Tax Credits: This is a notice that is issued to you that shows your tax credits and rate bands. 

All you need to know about your PPS number and Certificate of Tax Credits is here.  

How do I set up a bank account in Ireland?

It's very difficult to open a bank account in Ireland, if you do not have proof of address (e.g. utility bill) or a PPS number. We can help you open a bank account with AIB, one of the leading banks in Ireland. 

You are under no obligation to open an account with AIB – this is an additional service we offer. 

For further information on opening a bank account please contact your Hays representative. 


Contact us


Hays Ireland has offices in Dublin, Galway, Limerick and Cork. Use our office locator to find the one closest to you.