Asset Engineer, Mechanical, Public Sector
Hays Recruitment are currently recruiting an experienced Mechanical/Asset Engineer (Gas) to join our client, a Government Utility entity based in Cork. This is a public sector role. Initially, starting on a 12-month contract with an extension of another 12 months if all goes well.
The client is in the process of completing a series of Design Life Reassessment (DLR) reviews of the transmission pipeline and associated Above Ground Installations (AGIs) which are approaching the design life (40 years) specified at the time of design. This process is a mandatory compliance requirement, in line with the primary standard IS 328 Gas Transmission – Pipelines and Installations in the ROI, and equivalent IGEM/TD/1 Steel pipelines for high pressure gas transmission in Northern Ireland and Scotland.
While this statutory requirement is not new, the volume of DLRs due has significantly increased recently for GNI as the early pipeline systems in the asset base approach their 40 years design life. The coming 5-10 year period will see a number of DLRs becoming due. In addition, a regular 4-yearly affirmation and certification of a pipeline’s permitted Maximum Operating Pressure (MOP) is required on all transmission pipelines.
This consists of a formal assessment (known as the MOP review) of the integrity of the pipeline and its associated installations, and an assessment of the risks posed to the surrounding population. As per the DLR review, MOP affirmation is a statutory requirement for IS 328 and IGEM/TD/1. A temporary technical engineering resource will be required in order to complete the programme of DLR and MOP reviews becoming due in the short term. Day to Day
- The preparation of (MOP) Maximum Operating Pressure reviews on GNI’s high pressure transmission pipelines.
- Supporting the preparation of Design Life Reassessment assessments on transmission pipeline assets approaching the end of design life.
- Analysing data from both internal and external systems (e.g. Inline Inspection, Leak data, GIS, Maximo) and compiling that data to assess and report on asset performance and integrity, and inform about the above statutory certification processes.
- Deriving trends and key data statistics on which policy decisions will be made.
- Other duties may be assigned from time to time.
Required Skills Qualifications and Experience:
- Degree in Engineering, Science or equivalent.
- Minimum of 2 years relevant engineering experience
- A working knowledge of transmission and/or distribution natural gas engineering is desirable.
- Experience working with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and/or Asset Management Systems (e.g. Maximo) would be an advantage.
- Have excellent analytical skills and be able to identify and analyse problems and potential improvements, and propose and implement solutions.
- Strong report writing and document preparation skills.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you, but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion about your career.