Construction, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, Energy
Hays Recruitment are currently recruiting for an experienced Power Regulator and Commercial Manager to join our client, a semi state company based in Cork.
As the Energy Regulation & Commercial Manager you will play a critical role in shaping the future energy market and supporting our company's thermal generation as we transition to and grow our renewable portfolio. This is particularly important in light of the significant renewables and carbon targets set by the government for 2030 and 2050. As the expert in the codes and their interpretation to support our commercial business you will apply your learnings and experience across the jurisdictions that we are actively investing in, these include: the Single Electricity Market of Ireland and Northern Ireland and the GB power market.
The successful candidate will likely have prior experience with an energy generator or network operator, providing guidance for decisions related to energy markets in Ireland and GB within the broader business framework, that will impact trading, capacity market participation, interconnector integration and future investments. It is crucial to have experience working as an internal specialist in a complex environment. You will be given responsibility to lead specific projects driven by regulatory changes, collaborating with departments such as Asset Development (new investments that include all technology types), Asset Management (about compliance with bidding rules), Strategy, and Trading teams.
As part of your development, you will work with other managers who support the gas markets, governance and compliance, and grid code and connection management.
This is a fast-moving environment made more complex but more exciting by the change that we as a society are dealing with as we transition to low carbon.
• Provide expert interpretation of market regulations and evaluate the commercial impacts of regulatory changes.
• Identify opportunities and threats by interpreting industry and market codes, policies, etc., and assess their impact on the business.
• Support the implementation of rules to maximise economic return and cultivate strong relationships at all levels within the organisation.
• Shape future energy and capacity market designs by leading our company's responses to consultations issued by Regulators, System & Market Operators, Government Departments, and EC.
• Evaluate the impact of future interactions in the I-SEM and DS3 on our company's revenue streams and commercial activities, ensuring effective communication and understanding within the organisation.
• Identify, develop, and influence the introduction of new proposals to relevant codes that align with our company's business objectives.
• Represent our company at external engagements with Regulatory Authorities, industry representative groups, and working groups.
• Ensure compliance with regulations to safeguard against regulatory penalties.
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
• 10+ years of experience in electricity market regulation.
• A minimum of 3 years of experience in market rules within a commercial setting, with expertise in traded markets and their application.
• Subject matter knowledge: Significant experience working with relevant jurisdictional Trading and Settlement codes, any relevant Balancing and Settlement codes and Capacity market codes, which govern how a company participate in a competitive wholesale market
• Policy analysis skills: Ability to assess costs and benefits of complex problems and make robust recommendations and/or effective decisions
• Collaboration skills: Ability to build and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders
• Strong problem-solving, modelling, and analytical capabilities.
• Communication skills: Strong written and verbal communication skills that effectively communicate complex issues to nonexpert audiences in written documents and verbally.
• Proven ability to work well as part of a flexible team and manage diverse teams.
• Proactive approach, embracing responsibility and accountability throughout your career.
• Ability to be self-driven, prioritise, meet deadlines, and effectively manage workload for timely impact.
• Organisational skills: the ability to plan ahead, prioritise activities (or resources), manage multiple priorities to successfully deliver at pace
• Strong commercial acumen and analytical background
• Ability to quickly grasp and retain significant industry knowledge.
• Experience of working on consultancy, government, policy, regulatory or energy sector projects that deliver successful market outcomes
• Experience developing analytical frameworks, working with complex models, and using data to solve problems
• Experience operating in a regulated environment and familiarity with regulatory frameworks.
• Experience with project management and working with consultants is welcomed.
• Effective networking skills internally and externally.
• Strategic focus and ability to provide unique insights.
• Track record of effectively influencing at a senior level.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you, but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.