Your new company
Paralympics Ireland is an elite sports performance organisation that prepares Para Athletes to compete at the Paralympic Games. They work with and support, their member organisations to recruit and develop the next generation of Irish Paralympians for the upcoming Paralympics in Paris 2024 and beyond. They secure investment from state agencies and commercial partners to ensure that Irish Paralympic athletes train and compete at the highest level. Such support is invaluable and has played a key part in the success achieved by Irish athletes at previous Paralympic Games. They recruit and support top-class coaches to guide Irish athletes to competitive and podium success. Their main ambition is to provide the best possible coaching programmes to aspiring athletes. They also and prepare and manage Irish athletes for qualifying competitions around the world and give them the best platform for their athletes to succeed in qualifying.
Your new role
As Paralympic Athletics Performance Pathway Coach you will work as part of our team to support athletes and support staff achieve their potential at Paris 2024 and LA 2028 Paralympic Games. This role will have clear oversight of the Para Athletics Pathway club network and aims to support identified coaches, clubs, and hubs nationally. This role is part-time and with some remote working options with in-person training expected too.
As Paralympic Athletics Performance Pathway Coach you will work as part of our team to support athletes and support staff achieve their potential at Paris 2024 and LA 2028 Paralympic Games.
They are seeking a new team member who will be primarily responsible for:
- Supporting the Irish Para Athletics squad at international competitions and camps, by acting as a Performance Pathway Coach.
- Identifying athletes who have the potential to advance to minimum qualification standards at major championships.
- Working with the athletes' club coaches to provide the best possible support in their home environments. Support long-term training and competition planning that assists athletes and coaches in achieving milestone competition performances that lead to world-class success.
- Leading the delivery of age/stage-appropriate coaching programs; evaluating athletes' progress and implementing world-class coaching practices.
- Providing the best developmental pathway possible by collaborating with clubs, coaches, and associated volunteers and stakeholders to ensure that athletes have opportunities and experiences to progress, thrive, and reach their full potential.
What you will be working on
As Paralympic Athletics Performance Pathway Coach you will work as part of the team to help design and deliver our Transform for LA programme. This aims to support our network of NGBs grow their Paralympic Performance Pathways and programmes to support athletes for the Paralympic Games in Los Angeles in 2028 and beyond.
Specifically, you will be:
- Working with our member NGBs, to support the development of their performance pathways for the next generation of Paralympic performers (Athletes and Coaches).
- Assisting on the design and delivery of key programmes that will support NGB Para Sport leads to identify, develop, and progress Paralympic performers.
- Contributing to growing a culture of progression and performance amongst our Para Sport community through using insight, innovation, learning and development opportunities.
- There will likely be scope to join the Irish Paralympic Team at international camps competitions including the Paralympic Games in a support role capacity. This will be determined closer to the Paris 2024 and LA 2028 Paralympic Games.
This role involves working closely with the Head of Para Athletics, Sports Director, Technical Lead and Classification Manager in Paralympics Ireland.
With the Head of Para Athletics and Para Athletics Technical Lead, proactively and collaboratively design and deliver key programmes and activities to ensure we meet our key objectives. Where appropriate input into Perform at Paris programme (aimed at supporting current generation of athletes perform at Paris 2024).
With the support of the Para Athletics Leadership Team, lead on delivering our key strategies focusing on:
- Pathway Recruitment & Development Practice: Collaborate with organisations to better understand, adopt and embed best practice principles in finding and developing Paralympic Performers.
- Supporting the progress and performances of athletes and coaches on Paralympic Pathways.
- Support on the design, delivery, and relationship management around our three main stakeholder activities planned over the course of this Paris 2024 Cycle:
- National para-athlete recruitment campaign
- Paralympic Pathway benchmarking reviews
- Regional multi-sport Paralympic Hubs
What you'll need to succeed
- Support the implementation of the Paralympics Ireland Sports strategy (especially Paralympic Pathways) and help monitor progress and achievements
- Support the Paralympics Ireland team in their roles to achieve key milestones
- Co-create own goal setting and personal development opportunities
- Set-up/partake in regular individual, team and organisational meetings (part of a Plan-Do-Review cycle)
- Contribute to wider organisational and wider stakeholder meetings and programmes
- Administrative and logistical support to Para Athletics Team
- Undertake any other duties as requested by the Head of Paralympic Athletics
- Third Level qualification- preferably in a Sports/People development related area or discipline
- 2 - 4 years full-time (or part-time equivalent) experience with skills relevant to this role.
- Recent experience of successfully working within an inter disciplinary team operating in a high-performance environment (sporting or non-sporting)
- Experience of successful project/programme design and delivery
- Demonstrable stakeholder management experience i.e., experience of working with multiple partners, stakeholders, and volunteers to achieve success
- A team player with an open and consultative / collaborative style and optimistic approach
- Strong planning and organisation skills
- A clean current full driving licence and access to a form of transport to meet the requirements of the post in full
- A flexible approach to hours required including the ability to attend evening and weekend meetings and to undertake travel abroad.
- Demonstrable ability to coach across many athletics disciplines
- Level 2 Athletics coaching qualification (or equivalent)
What you'll get in return
- An understanding of the current approaches to talent development
- Experience of working within High Performance / Paralympic / disability sport environment
- Experience of coaching athletics at a Pathway Level
- Ability to manage budgets, allocate and maximise resources
What you need to do now
- The opportunity to work within one of Irelands most elite athletic programs.
- You will be working daily with professionals who compete and coach at the highest level of their game.
- This is an exciting time for Paralympics Ireland as they look to grow their team to better support the performance aspirations of our Team Ireland Para athletes, their member National Governing Bodies (NGBs) and their key national partners.
- This is a motivating and innovative role, and they are seeking candidates who are passionate about supporting people to reach their potential through high performance Paralympic sport.
- This is a new role within their team and hence a great opportunity for a candidate with a sporting background to bring their stakeholder relationship and people development experiences to bear.
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career. #1101653