This site uses cookies. If you continue you consent to this but you may change your cookie settings at any time by following this link.

Contracting in Ireland
PAYE contractors

Requirements for working in a contract job in Ireland vary depending on whether you are an Irish citizen or a non national. At Hays, we tell you everything you need to know to start your contract job.





Emergency tax and tax credits

It is important to ensure that your tax is dealt with properly from the start of your contract and the right amount of tax is deducted from your pay. To ensure this happens, you will need to do two things:

  • Provide your PPS Number

  • Provide your most recent P45 Form or Certificate of Tax Credits

    If you have a PPS number but you haven't received your P45 from your previous employer, click here. 


If you have never worked in Ireland you must apply for a PPS number and a Certificate of Tax Credits. 

PPS Number: This is your unique personal identification number for public services and is required for any kind of employment. 

Certificate of Tax Credits: This is a notice that is issued to you that shows your tax credits and rate bands. 

All you need to know about your PPS number and Certificate of Tax Credits is here.  

How do I set up a bank account in Ireland?

It's very difficult to open a bank account in Ireland, if you do not have proof of address (e.g. utility bill) or a PPS number. We can help you open a bank account with AIB, one of the leading banks in Ireland.
You are under no obligation to open an account with AIB – this is an additional service we offer.
For further information on opening a bank account please contact your Hays representative.


Example of payment schedule 

Start date Monday 1st February
Worked Monday 1st - Friday 5th February
Submit timesheet Friday 5th February
Timesheet approved before 12pm Tuesday 9th February
Pay day Friday 12th February 


Pay is processed weekly, one week in arrears. Pay day is every Friday.

You must submit your timesheet on the online portal and get it approved by your manager – if your manager is not available or on leave, your manager must make arrangements with another approver prior to the deadline.

It is your responsibility to ensure your weekly timesheets are approved before 12pm every Tuesday for the previous week’s work.

We recommend you submit timesheets every Friday afternoon – it’s a good idea to put a reminder in your diary! Then, follow up with your manager on Monday to ensure the time sheet is approved before the deadline. If for whatever reason, your timesheet is not approved on time, you will not get paid that week.


Paid leave

You are entitled to paid holidays as a temp worker however you must accrue your holiday before you are able to take them. If you have not accrued enough holidays, you can still take them but you will not get paid for these days until you have accrued them.

To book holidays, please get approval from your manager first. Then contact your Hays representative via email to confirm dates and complete an annual leave form.

Failure to notify Hays about holidays booked will result in you being unpaid for your leave.

You are entitled to payment for bank holidays (if any occur during your assignment) provided you have worked 40hours within the last five weeks, prior to the bank holiday.

If you want to check your holiday entitlement, please contact your Hays representative and we will let you know by Friday of that week. We are only able to provide current leave balances, not future balances.

Holidays that haven’t been used during the assignment will be paid upon the termination of your assignment with your last pay.

All holiday hours accrued from January 2016 must be used by the end of December 2016.



Sick leave is unpaid - if you wish you may use your annual leave provided it has been accrued.

If you are sick and unfit to work, you need to notify both your Hays representative and your manager by 8.30am. Please note that sending an e-mail or a text message is not acceptable – you need to call.


GNIB card 

If you are a non-EEA national residing in Ireland for a period of more than three months, you must register with the local immigration registration office. An immigration certificate of registration (GNIB Registration Card) is issued by the Garda National Immigration Bureau.

Please visit this website for more information: